Building Your Brand
From tabling events, interviews, information sessions, virtual Q&A, job fairs, luncheons and more. Recruit SIUC students with a tailor experience with our Employer Relations Coordinator Nicole Wood. Please contact at email@example.com or call 618-453-1040
Hire a Saluki/Handshake
The best way to build your brand on campus and recruit SIU students and recent alumni is to make them available to apply through our school Handshake Account. Handshake is a nation-wide platform designed to connect our students with jobs that fit THEIR qualifications.
Registration URL - sign up with "Employers & Career Centers" not Student/Alumni
Creating an Account
Create an account, fill out company information and add logo under the "Company Profile". (This is what the Students will be seeing when they view your job postings), and then you can start connecting with students.
Connecting with SIUC
You will also need to connect with Universities with Handshake accounts before you are able to post jobs.
- On the left-hand side under Relationship select "Schools"
- Then select "More Schools on Handshake".
- You will be able to search universities (Southern Illinois University Carbondale),
- You will need to "Request" access to post (far right-hand side).
- Once you have been approved you will be able to post jobs to the University and their students & alumni.
- Log into your Employer Handshake account
- Left-hand side - under "Postings" select "Jobs"
- Upper right-hand corner "Create Job"
- Then you can upload your posting- once you are approved all jobs are approved automatically
- Log into your Employer Handshake Account
- Left-hand side - under "Meet" select "Events"
- Upper right-hand corner "Request Event"
- Fill in your event and you will need to select if it is In-Person or Virtual.
Connecting with Students
- Sign into your Employer Handshake account
- Under "Relationships" select "Talent"
- Under "Filters" - Schools type in "Southern Illinois University Carbondale"
- Add any additional filters for students (Major groups, skills, etc...)
- Once you have filtered the desired students, please view the right-hand side that says "Message"
- Lower right-hand side "Include" allows you to add job postings, your virtual events, your availability,etc...)
The Extern Program
The Career Development Center is always seeking new SIU Alumni and friends of the University to provide externship opportunities for current students. Externships are defined as short-term job shadow experiences that can last anywhere from a single day to a couple of weeks. They allow students to apply classroom knowledge to real experiences, engage with professionals, expand their network, and benefit from having a mentor in their chosen field.
Our formal Extern Program takes place during spring break. Informally, we connect students with willing Extern Program sponsors year-round. More information is available here.
If you are interested in being an Extern Sponsor, contact Jaime Conley, firstname.lastname@example.org | 618.453.1049.
Registered Student Organizations
Connecting with students via Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) is another great way to build your brand on campus. SIU is home to more than 400 RSOs, including more than 170 clubs with an academic or industry focus. Check our RSO list to learn more about these specialized student groups and how to contact their leadership.