Main Content

banner 5 state
Area Employers Strategies


  • Teaching: Pre-school , Elementary, Middle, Secondary
  • Administration: Principalship, Superintendency
  • Special Services: Guidance Counseling, School Psychology, School Social Work, Occupational and Physical Therapy
  • Audiology and Speech Pathology, Library/Information Services, Special Education, Curriculum Supervision, Subject Area
  • Supervision

Elementary, middle and secondary schools: public, private, Montessori, etc.

Day care centers and nursery schools

Boards of Education

Complete a college level teacher preparation program. Obtain teaching certificate/license for desired subject area and/or grade level. Requirements for certification/licensure vary by state. Obtain dual certification for better employability. Private schools may not require certification or licensure. Obtain master's degree in subject area for increased employability. Get involved in student teacher organizations. Acquire teaching experience. Obtain Ph.D. and certificate in school administration. Graduate study required for "special service" fields. Obtain master's degree in area to become specialist. Requirements for certification and/or accreditation vary by state

Higher Education
  • Teaching
  • Research
  • Administration
  • Student Affairs
  • Information/Library Services

Four-year colleges and universities

Two-year and community colleges

Technical schools

Medical and professional schools

Earn Ph.D. to teach and research at four-year institutions. Master's or Ph.D. degree is required to teach at two-year schools. Earn a Ph.D. in higher education administration for upper level positions in university administration. Earn master's in student personnel, student development, or counseling for student affairs positions. Obtain master's in library/information sciences. Gain related experience through student positions such as Resident Assistants, Orientation Leaders, etc. Seek leadership roles in campus organizations.

Adult and Continuing Education
  • Inservice Education
  • Staff Development
  • Professional Development
  • Leisure-oriented Education
  • GED Preparation
  • Literacy Development
  • English as a Second Language

K-12 school systems,

Boards of Education,

Colleges and universities,

Two-year and technical schools, Community organizations: YMCA, Red Cross, etc., Correctional institutions, Hospitals, Museums, Professional associations, Nursing homes/Adult day care,

Vocational services

Attain a master's or Ph.D. degree in adult education or a graduate degree in a subject or specialized area. Gain a reputation of expertise and experience in a subject, profession, art, craft or trade. Obtain teaching or instructional experience. May need certification or accreditation.

Business and Industry

  • Training and Development

  • Human Resources

  • Sales

  • Customer Service

  • Publishing and Technical Writing

  • Consulting

Public and private corporations,

Consulting firms,

Marketing companies,


Publishers: Textbook, newspaper, magazine, book,Test-preparation companies, Software companies, Staffing agencies

Take some general business and computer courses. Earn a graduate degree in human resource development. Gain experience in organizational development or marketing. Become current with business and industry literature and news. Learn desktop publishing and other software packages.


  • Administration

  • Planning

  • Evaluation

  • Management

  • Research and Writing

  • Teaching

  • Social Work

Federal government agencies: Department of Education, Department of Defense, Overseas schools for military dependents, Department of Labor, Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC), Health and Human Services, Library of Congress, National Archives, National Science Foundation, National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, Peace Corps, Social service agencies, Vista, State and local government

Learn federal, state, and local job application procedures. Gain experience and an advanced, typically Ph.D, degree for top positions in government.


  • Teaching or Training

  • Programming

  • Public Relations

  • Administration

  • Fundraising

Adoption agencies,

Scouts, Camps,

United Way agencies,


Group homes,

Mental health clinics,

Community recreation centers, Other public or private social service organizations,

Gain experience through volunteer work or internships. Develop writing and public speaking skills. Learn to work with people of different ages and backgrounds. Add additional coursework in area of interest such as human services, counseling or psychology. Consider certification in special education for greater employability.

Strategies for placement in Education

  • Develop excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
  • Develop good computer skills.
  • Demonstrate enthusiasm and energy for the field.
  • Need desire to work with and help people.
  • Obtain part-time, summer, internship, or volunteer experience with the age group you intend to work with in various settings: pre-schools, daycares, camps, community agencies, adult centers, YMCA's, etc.
  • Participate in co-curricular activities and related organizations to broaden skills and interests
  • Decide on level of teaching and specific area of interest.
  • Bachelor's degree is sufficient for certification/licensure to teach K-12 in most states. Obtain a master's degree for advancement and increased earning potential. Advanced degree required for specialists, education administration, college teaching and other professional positions.
  • For career options outside of education, identify transferable skills learned in teaching that are applicable to alternative careers: effective communication both verbal and written, teaching and instruction, program planning, organization and record-keeping, working under pressure and meeting deadlines, motivational skills, creativity, working autonomously, decision-making, problem solving, and research skills.

Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. (2005) UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section
504/ADA /ADEA Employer.


National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education 
Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers from the Occupational Outlook Handbook
Preschool Teachers from the Occupational Outlook Handbook
High School Teachers from the Occupational Outlool Handbook
Teachers-Postsecondary from the Occupational Outlook Handbook
To Become a Teacher